We, ALTEL COMMUNICATIONS SDN BHD (Company No. 983899-V) respect the privacy of individual’s personal information in compliance with the Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (PDPA) and any other Malaysian laws in relation to privacy and protection of personal information.
In compliance with the requirements of the laws and to show our utmost commitment to protect your Personal Information, we have placed this Privacy Statement which details out the notice to you, the frameworks and principles of our processing of your Personal Information which you provide to us.
This Privacy Statement is provided to you in English and Bahasa Malaysia. In the event of any inconsistency between the English version and the Bahasa Malaysia version, the English version shall prevail.
Altel endeavours to collect your Personal Information with your knowledge and consent which we believe to be true, accurate and complete in all respects.
In pursuance thereto, by providing your Personal Information to us, you agree and permit us to process your Personal Information in accordance to the terms of this Privacy Statement.
For the purpose of this Privacy Statement:
|“Altel, us or we or our”||means Altel Communications Sdn Bhd (Company No. 167469-A) and its Related Corporation(s)|
|“Agreement”||means the agreement between you and Altel (if any) in relation to the Services|
|“Services”||means any services which are offered and made available by Altel from time to time|
|“Personal Information”||means any Personal Information or data that relates directly or indirectly to you, including any information that can be used to distinguish or identify you. Personal Information also includes the information that is outlined in “Sensitive Information”|
|“Related Corporation(s)”||means the related corporations as defined under the Companies Act, 1965|
|“Sensitive Information”||Sensitive Information of an individual consists of information regarding the physical or mental health or condition of the individual, individual’s political opinion, his religious belief or other believe of similar nature, the commission or alleged commission of the individual of any offence or any other Personal Information determined by law|
|“Website”||means Altel’s official Website www.altel.my or any other Altel Website including our micro site which we own and use from time to time|
1. Why do we collect Personal Information?
1.1 Altel is required to collect certain details of your Personal Information that we believe to be relevant and necessary in order to:
(a) provide you with our Services; or
(b) allow you to enter into a contractual relationship with us; or
(c) proceed with any other valid purposes which require your Personal Information
1.2 We may also use the Personal Information you provide to us to enhance the products and services that we offer to you.
1.3 If you don’t provide us with the complete and correct information required or you retract your consent for your Personal Information to be processed:
(a) we may not be able to process your application for the Services; or
(b) we may not be able to provide you with the Services you want; or
(c) we may be restricted in the way we provide our Services to you; or
(d) the Services and/or Agreement will be terminated; or
(e) we cannot proceed to enter into a contractual relationship with you to the extent that we may have to terminate or suspend the performance of the agreement in relation to that contractual relationship; according to the terms and conditions of such agreement; or
(f) we may not be able to proceed with any other valid purposes which require your Personal Information
2. What Personal Information do we collect and store?
2.1 With respect to the types of Personal Information which we collect from you, we have categorised the Personal Information which we collect from you into two categories:
(a) Mandatory Information; and
(b) Optional Information.
What is Mandatory Information?
The Mandatory Information is the mandatory Personal Information obtained by us in relation to the subscription process, registration for our Services, change of Service package and plans, managing our Services and operational requirements, information required in order for us to provide Services to you and information required in relation to the contractual relationship you would have with us and for any other purposes. Such Mandatory Information herein includes but is not limited to the following:
- your name
- your company name
- contact details
- your company details
- your date of birth
- supporting identification documents (including NRIC or passport number)
- preferred language
- current addresses (private and/or business address)
- telephone or mobile phone number
- fax number
- email address
- credit card number and/or bank account details
- all information and details required in relation to the subscription of our Services or entering into business relationship with us;
If you do not agree to provide the Mandatory Information to us and further disagree to let us process such Mandatory Information, Clause 1.3 above shall apply.
What is Optional Information?
Optional Information is additional Personal Information about you which we collect and process and it includes but not limited to the following:
- personal interests and preferences in order to tailor the Services to suit your requirement.
- additional information as provided by you including but not limited to areas of interest in which you would like to be alerted in any of our marketing related activities, your participation in any contest, survey, promotional activities we organise.
We will collect and process the Optional Information with your knowledge and consent. Should you disagree or opt to retract your consent for your Optional Information to be processed, you would probably miss out the chance to discover; the best package and products which may suit your requirements, our latest package and product promotions, any contest, survey and promotional activities we may organise from time to time.
2.2 To provide you with our Services and to administer your account with us, we will generate and process information about how you use our Services (such as the type, time, location and duration of phone calls or other communications, the numbers you call and how much you spend).
2.3 When you apply for one or more of our Services, we may, but shall not be obliged to inform you that we will contact you towards the end of your contract period with us to update you with options that are available to you. We may also ask you if you would like to be contacted by us from time to time to keep you up-to-date with information about the Services offered by Altel, its affiliates and business partners and, if agreeable, how you would like to be kept updated.
2.4 Sensitive Information
(a) We do not process your Sensitive Information in the conduct of our business.
(b) Notwithstanding the above, in the event we are required to do so, we shall procure your explicit consent prior to or when we process such Sensitive Information.
3. Do you have to provide your Personal Information when you visit our Website?
It isn’t mandatory for visitors to our Website to provide Personal Information unless we require the Personal Information
(a) to answer to an inquiry or
(b) to provide Services.
However, we may require visitors to our Website to provide Personal Information voluntarily, for example, to enter a competition, promotional activities or complete a questionnaire or survey. Wherever it is reasonable and practicable, we will allow our customers to transact with us anonymously.
4. How do we collect Personal Information?
4.1 We collect your Personal Information through various ways, including but not limited to the following manner:-
(a) during the registration process – any Personal Information provided by you whenever you register for any of our Services, whether by way of telephone conversation, in the application forms and/or other agreements/forms, or through the Website and/or any other mode of telecommunications
(b) from your use of our Services – any Personal Information provided by you whenever you visit our Website, online store, social media pages such as Facebook, Twitter etc. and other pages that we own and manage, during recordings of calls made when you contact Altel (these calls may be recorded for training, quality and business purposes and you will be informed of this at the time of your call), and from our mobile base stations and other equipment that may collect information about your usage (including location-based information)
(c) from third parties – any Personal Information provided by you whenever you visit external pages through our Website like credit reporting agencies, law enforcement agencies, suppliers, agents, contractors or other telecommunication service providers, publicly available sources of information like government and regulatory authorities
(d) when you commence a contractual relationship with us
(e) when you participate in any competitions, survey, contest or any events or activities we organise
(f) during your visit to any of our offices, our agent and representative’s offices
(g) when you use our network and our Services
4.2 Circumstances in which you may choose to provide these details to us include; when you enter our competitions or games, agree or ask to receive information about Services offered by us and our affiliates and business partners, download software from the Website or WAP Portal, register your details so you may gain access to a particular section of the Website or WAP Portal, or send us a query about our Services.
4.3 However, please note that when you post information to the WAP Portal (or parts of the Website that other visitors are able to access, such as on a ‘bulletin board’ or during an ‘interactive chat’) you must assume (unless we notify you otherwise in any particular case) that the information you post becomes generally available to the public and we have no ability to control or limit its use by any persons.
5. What about Cookies?
5.2 Cookies may be used to personalise your visit to our Website and to customise our Services to your needs. They contain information about your preferences. Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that your web browser transmits to your hard drive or mobile handset to enable our system to recognise your browser. This means that we are able to know information about you when you next visit our Website, such as your IP address.
5.3 Cookies do not reveal your personal identity and are not Personal Information, but if you don’t want cookies to be collected by us, you may reset your browser to prevent cookies or disable cookies entirely. You can still use our Website and WAP Portal even if you choose to disable cookies, however please take notice that areas of certain Websites may not function properly.
6. How is your Personal Information used?
6.1 The Personal Information we collect may be used for a number of purposes related to providing you with our Services. Accordingly, Altel may use your Personal Information for one or more of the following purposes:-
- to verify your identity;
- to provide and facilitate our Services you acquired;
- to assist you when subscribing to our Services;
- to administer and manage our Services and your account with us whether on the Website or otherwise;
- to carry out credit checks and credit reporting for the processing of your application and the ongoing credit management of your account;
- to generate bills, manage your account and carry out debt-recovery functions;
- to investigate and resolve any service issues, billing queries, complaints or other enquiries that you submit to us regarding our Services;
- to carry out market analysis and product analysis and development;
- to conduct internal investigations in relation to crime and fraud prevention, detection or prosecution;
- to manage staff training and quality assurance;
- to maintain and develop our business systems and infrastructure, including testing and upgrading of the system;
- to help us monitor and improve the importance of our Services, our customer relations and service providers, mobile content providers etc.;
- to manage the Services;
- to send you seasonal greetings, messages or public service announcements;
- to investigate, respond to, or defend claims made against or involving Altel;
- to maintain records required for security, claims or other legal purposes;
- to comply with legal and regulatory requirements;
- to comply any legal obligation, other than an obligation imposed by contract;
- to protect your vital interest
- for any other reasonable purposes required for the performance of the Services and that would be reasonably expected by you.
- to perform the deliverables of the agreement in which you are a party
- to establish and better manage any contractual relationship we may have with you.
- for any other purposes that are expressly or impliedly permitted by you.
- for any other legal purposes as prescribed under PDPA and any other relevant applicable laws.
6.2 You authorise Altel to use the information in the manner described in clause 6.1 above. Please take note that you will not be able to limit the processing of the Personal Information for the aforementioned purposes. If you do not agree to such processing by Altel, the effect in Clause 1.3 shall apply.
6.3 Direct Marketing
(a) We may use your Personal Information to provide you with information about:
(i) our Services; and/or
(ii) third party services and/or products,
which may be of interest to or benefit you by way of direct mail, bill inserts, telemarketing, email, MMS, SMS or any other medium of communication to you.
(b) If you do not wish your Personal Information to be utilised for the purposes of marketing you or should you change your mind in relation to your previous decision, you may contact us at Contact Centre at +603 2613 3888 or inform us in writing. Your latest written instructions to us will prevail.
(c) If you exercise the opt-out right in Clause 6.3 (b) above, you agree that you will miss out on all offerings and promotions of our Services and/or third party’s services and/or products.
7. Who may we provide your Personal Information to?
7.1 The Personal Information we collect will only be disclosed to third parties in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
7.2 We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the third parties mentioned in clause 7.1 above are bound by strict confidentiality and privacy obligations so that your Personal Information is protected.
7.3 Altel may disclose your Personal Information to:
- any person engaged/contracted/appointed by us to facilitate the performance and provision of our Services and/or any other purpose which is necessary or related to the provision of the Services to you;
- any of our Related Corporation(s) and our shareholders and the shareholders of our Related Corporation(s) and/or any other entity, corporation and company affiliated with us;
- our network service provider;
- our strategic partners that work with us to provide our Services or that help market the Services including our network of distributors, dealers and retailers;
- other telecommunication and information service providers when you have used their networks, for billing and service resolution purposes and including for the purpose of facilitating mobile number portability (“MNP”);
- our business associates and other parties for purposes that are related to the purpose of collecting and using your Personal Information;
- payment channels including without limitation to financial institutions;
- any person for the performance of a contract in which you are a party;
- any person for the purpose of compliance of any legal obligation, other than an obligation imposed by contact;
- any person necessary for the administration of justice or prevention or detection a crime, or for purpose of investigations or for the purposes of public interest;
- any person for the purposes of obtaining legal advice or for the purpose of execution of any functions conferred on any person by or under any law or was required or authorised by or under any law or by the order of a court or any administrative or regulatory bodies having jurisdiction over the matter;
- any person for the assessment or collection of any tax or duty or any other imposition of a similar nature;
- any person for the purpose of responding to services or technical issues or marketing activities;
- our professional advisors on a need to know basis for the purpose of those advisors providing advice to us;
- parties nominated or appointed by us either solely or jointly with other service providers, for purposes of establishing and maintaining a common database where we have a legitimate common interest;
- any third party which acquires all or part of the assets or business of Altel;
- other parties in respect of whom you have given your express or implied consent; and
- otherwise as permitted under Malaysian law, including without limitation, the PDPA.
7.4 You authorise Altel to disclose your Personal Information in the manner identified in clause 7.3 above.
8. How accurate is the Personal Information we hold about you and can you access the Personal Information?
8.1 We take reasonable steps to ensure that the Personal Information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of your information is largely dependent on what you provide us. To ensure that we have your most current and accurate Personal Information, please contact us to check your Personal Information.
8.2 Where Altel offers online account management facilities, you can use this capability to control aspects of your account, including amending or updating certain Personal Information.
8.3 If you wish to access to your Personal Information in our possession, you are required to provide your details such your name, address, phone number, Services account number and any other information which we may require in order for us to process your access request and to locate the Personal Information you wish to access. You are also required to inform us of the Personal Information which you wish to access.
8.4 We may have to withhold or refuse your access to Personal Information in several circumstances for instance:
(a) when you fail to provide with sufficient information, reason and purposes, the relevance and the connectivity of the Personal Information to the purposes;
(b) the request for access is for some else’s Personal Information; unless you confirm that you have obtained their written consent, such written consent is forwarded to us for verification and you have informed them to read this Privacy Statement;
(c) such access would violate the court order;
(d) such access would disclose confidential commercial information; and
(e) any other circumstances as prescribed in the PDPA.
Nevertheless, we will provide you notification of the reason for not being able to accede to your request.
8.5 We may charge you with a prescribed fee for searching and providing you with access to your Personal Information.
9. Protecting your account from unauthorised access
Anyone who knows your account PIN or online username and password can access your account. Therefore, you must keep your PIN, username and password secure and only share these details with people you authorise to access and manage your Altel account. Altel accepts no responsibility for information disclosed to parties who know your PIN, username or password.
10. Updates to our Privacy Statement
We reserve the right to change, revise and/or amend this Privacy Statement from time to time and the same shall be notified to you through our Website or any other medium of communication as we deem relevant and necessary.
11. How do you report any breach of your Personal Information privacy or raise any questions in relation to this Privacy Statement?
If you believe your (a) Personal Information privacy has been compromised or (b) you have any questions in relation to this Privacy Statement, kindly contact our Contact Centre on +603 2613 3888 or write to us at the following address:
ALTEL COMMUNICATIONS SDN BHD
D-23A-01 Menara Mitraland
No 13A Jalan PJU 5/1, Kota Damansara PJU 5
47810 Petaling Jaya
Selangor Darul Ehsan
Attention to: Head of Regulatory & Access Management
We may from time to time change the contact details above.
You can be rest assured that we value your Personal Information and strive to comply with the requirements of the PDPA.